Home » Self Reflection- Researched Critical Analysis

Self Reflection- Researched Critical Analysis

Throughout writing this essay, I paid special attention to the impact this book attempts to make through its philosophical inquiry and questioning. Its genre is a researched critical analysis, where I delve deep into the meanings and intersectionality of why certain events take place. The biggest point of attention is the ‘otherness’ of Meursault within the societal standards of French-colonized Algeria. Additionally, I aim to debunk the theory that although he is the ‘other’ as the majority sees it, he feels connections and emotions towards events and others despite his unrecognition and facing of death.

The purpose of this text is to show that although he is objectively seen as emotionless and stranges in the book, he still feels emotions that align with all those who view him as said characteristics. The other point of this argument is to also exhibit how he is the ‘other’ based on his nihilistic and existentialist viewpoints, that eventually lead him into committing a murder. These particular societies (as most others) condemn and punish these actions, but the level of punishment depends on the society’s laws and ethics. When it comes to audience, I believe this paper attracts more philosophical and academic readers, since this novel handles difficult topics such as death and the meaning of life. I aim to influence those who are interested in philosophy and the academia of psychology, since this is a very interesting case to observe in the psyche of a character.

Stylistically, I could have added more information to support my argument of him being like the rest of the characters deep down. I think I displayed enough background information and evidence to support my thesis of him being the ‘other,’ but I could have developed my ‘similarity’ claim better. I would have liked to better develop my rebuttal to the counterclaim by citing other scholarly articles. However, it was difficult conducting research in such a fashion since an argument of this kind if interpretable based on your views towards the book.

Lastly, I attempt to persuade people that Meursault is an outsider in the context of this book due to his actions, but when he faces his death, his true feelings on the beauty of life come out. I did this by firstly introducing the main events in the book that exhibit his strange philosophies, and then showing how this makes him the ‘other’. I then describe how these instances make him ‘strange’. I followed up with the intersectionality of the time period and events, discussing the political and economic climate of the time period. This explains as to why people refer to the victim as an ‘Arab’. This all ties into the social norms of the people and why Meursault fits under the ‘other’ mold.

This essay was challenging for me in terms of finding research to support my claims. However, I enjoyed piecing it together and developing my arguments. The book truly changed my perspective on life in many different ways and allowed me to pose several different questions within my own interpretations on the way I should live life.